What to Wear for your session
In general it is best to keep things simple and be yourself. Whatever you choose, be true to your own style. We want your portraits to reflect who you really are (although a little more polished!)
With both couples and families everyone does not have to be dressed identically or need to wear the same colour. In fact it is better if you aren't! Choose colours that complement each other - keeping within the same family of colours will help. Examples of colour families are pastels, bright, cool or warm colours.
Some more simple tips:
- Layers are great, they add dimension and texture to images. Layer, layer, layer!
- Men look amazing in a suit or spots coat! Don't let your Man wear runners.
- Details make the scene, pull accent colours into your image with accessories!
- Choose an item of clothing with a few colours in as the 'base' for the families outfits. For example for my family photo (above) my son had shorts with blue, brown and yellow checks in them. I then dressed everyone in those colours (with my daughter as a wild card as per next tip).
- Have a wild-card, someone with a bold stand-out pattern or colour.
- Don't look too rigid - smart casual is comfortable and looks the best!
- Solid colours and subtle patterns are usually less distracting than bold patterns.
- Sleeves are more flattering than singlets.
- Look at your home decor for colour inspiration! The images will be on your walls after all.
- Accessories are FUN! They add personality to the portraits.
- Bring several outfits to your session where we can assist you further.
These are simply tips and there is no need to follow all or any of them, if you have a style that you are confident with GO FOR IT lets capture you!
Tips of things to avoid:
- Avoid obvious logos or cartoon characters on shirts.
- Think twice before the entire family comes dressed in jeans and white t-shirts - lets have some character and personality showing in your portrait!
If you are unsure, please call. Our staff will happily help you out over the phone.
Also don't worry, this is fun!